Alcohol use during pregnancy is a leading preventable cause of birth defects and developmental disabilities. Despite increased awareness/education, many individuals of childbearing age, including pregnant persons, and persons at risk of pregnancy drink and binge drink alcohol (>3 drinks per occasion).
Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD) is the umbrella term used to describe the range of effects that can occur due to prenatal alcohol exposure including physical, cognitive, behavioral and/or social deficits. Not intended as a clinical diagnosis, the term represents medical conditions associated with prenatal alcohol exposure including fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS), partial FAS, alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder (ARND), alcohol-related birth defects, and neurodevelopmental disorder associated with prenatal alcohol exposure (ND-PAE).
Many medical, allied health care providers, educators, and others work with individuals affected by prenatal alcohol exposure—diagnosed or undiagnosed—but may lack training to identify, refer, and/or provide effective services. Few agencies offer FASD training to address these important issues.
This FASD self-paced learning series helps decrease the knowledge gap by providing on-demand educational opportunities to learn more about the prevention, identification, and treatment of FASD.
The course has not yet launched, registrant will receive an invitation to join Canvas when it has.
The course is set to launch in January 2023.
The following activities are included in the FASD Training Series
- Watch FASD Primer for Healthcare Professionals (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and complete discussion questions.
- Watch Preventing Alcohol-Exposed Pregnancies (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and complete discussion questions.
- Watch Screening for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders and complete discussion questions.
- Watch 2 podcasts on the assessment and diagnosis of FASDs and answer discussion questions.
- Watch One Family’s Story and answer discussion questions.
- Watch Reading Scientific Papers for Understanding; Tips for Non-Scientists and answer discussion questions.
- Read article and answer discussion questions: Mattson, S. N., Bernes, G. A. & Doyle, L. R. (2019). Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: A review of the neurobehavioral deficits associated with prenatal alcohol exposure. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 43(6), 1046-1062.
- Read article and answer discussion questions: Wozniak, J. R., Riley, E. P., & Charness, M. E. (2019). Clinical presentation, diagnosis, and management of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. The Lancet Neurology, 18, 760-770.
- Read article and answer discussion questions: Adebiyi, B. O., Mukumbang, F. C. and Erasmus, C. (2019). The distribution of available prevention and management interventions for fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (2007-2017): Implications for collaborative actions. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16, 2244.
- Complete FASD Series evaluation.